Thursday, August 8, 2013

Remember the Acorn

I read something the other day that talked about the potentiality held within the tiny acorn. There’s nothing it needs to do to become what it’s intended to become. It just does. Now, every single acorn does not necessarily end up as a towering oak tree. Certain conditions must be met, but with the basic necessities provided, the seed does grow into that which it is here to be.

Let’s suppose for a moment, that the acorn had conscious awareness. Do you think even in its wildest imagination, it would ever be able to envision itself as a towering oak tree? Probably not.


Now humans are another story entirely. Even with the facility of conscious awareness and with untold resources, humans tend to walk blithely through their lives with little insight as to their limitless potentiality.


Humans are a curious species. There are those who are more or less unconscious. Then there are those who might be aware of some potential but “play small.” The vast majority are filled with insecurities, fears and excuses. It’s much safer to not rock their boats … upset their apple carts, even though the status quo might leave them miserable … frustrated … angry …


And far, far away from the magnificence, the joy, the beauty life has in store if only they would open their minds and hearts and allow their potential … their essence to shine through.


It’s common knowledge that we use only a small portion of our brain’s capacity … maybe not even 10%. So what is the remaining 90% doing? Hmmm … maybe we need to remember the acorn.




© Susan Schanerman 2013
 

No comments: